Györ and Brest want to extend unbeaten streaks
SCM Ramnicu Valcea and Györi Audi ETO KC have established a strong rivalry in the DELO WOMEN’S EHF Champions League.
It started 15 years ago, when the Romanian side eliminated Györ in the 2009/10 semi-finals, while the Hungarian powerhouse overpowered Valcea in the same phase of the competition in 2011/12 and again in 2012/13.
They meet again on Saturday, and while Györ have their quarter-final ticket in the pocket, Valcea want to win to strengthen their bid for a top-four finish in the group.
Like Györ, Brest Bretagne Handball have already done enough to be guaranteed of a quarter-final appearance, but the French side want to keep their unbeaten status when hosting IK Sävehof on Sunday.
SCM Ramnicu Valcea (ROU) vs Györi Audi ETO KC (HUN)
Saturday 8 February, 14:00 CET local time, live on ehfTV.com
- Györ lead the group with 11 points, while Valcea - on a two-game winning streak - are fourth with four points
- Györ have been unbeaten for 33 straight CL games and won seven of their eight matches this season
- the Traian Arena has been sold out since Wednesday, with 3,000 fans flocking to buy tickets
- Valcea and Györ met 14 times in European Cup competitions since 2004, with Valcea taking six wins and Györ seven
Buducnost (MNE) vs RK Krim Mercator (SLO)
Saturday 8 February, 19:00 CET local time, live on ehfTV.com
- Krim won only two games from eight this season and lost the last two
- Buducnost announced the arrival next season of Serbian playmaker Andrea Lekic from CSM on a two-year contract
- Buducnost are third in the group with six points, while Krim are last with only two points
- Buducnost won 12 of their previous 21 matches against Krim, including the last nine, as Krim’s last win came in 2009
Brest Bretagne Handball (FRA) vs IK Sävehof (SWE)
Sunday 9 February, 19:00 CET, live on ehfTV.com
- Brest can extend their unbeaten streak to nine games
- Sävehof lost both their games in the main round, while scoring only 42 goals
- if Brest win, it will be their 10th win in 27 CL matches; Sävehof have 13 wins from 74 games
- both sides also met in the group matches two seasons ago, when Brest took both wins with an average margin of 10 goals