Vardar happy to play the underdog role against Szeged
It is do-or-die for Vardar, who may have one of their last chances to contend for the VELUX EHF Champions League trophy.
But their work will be cut out for them as an in-form MOL-Pick Szeged, the Hungarian champions, are eyeing their first VELUX EHF FINAL 4 berth.
Szeged have had their ups and downs this season, but are poised to play the favourites role and will enjoy playing the second leg at home.
“The game is hugely important for us, but we must concede that they are the favourites,” said Vardar’s captain, line player Stojanche Stoilov, in a press conference on Tuesday.
QUARTER-FINAL FIRST LEG
HC Vardar (MKD) vs MOL-Pick Szeged (HUN)
Thursday, 25 April, 21:00 hrs local time, live on ehfTV.com
- MOL-Pick Szeged are in the quarter-final phase for the third time in the past five years, but have never earned a berth for the VELUX EHF FINAL 4 in Cologne
- Szeged won five of their eight away games this season and never lost by more than three goals. On the other side, Vardar have six home wins, losing against Barça and Veszprem at home
- The two sides met eight times in Europe’s top flight, with Szeged earning only one win compared to Vardar’s five
- Vardar must overcome a crisis in the left back position, where Christian Dissinger is injured, while Montenegrin sharpshooter Vuko Borozan’s status is uncertain
- The hosts are on a five-game winning streak, while Szeged are unbeaten in their last three matches
Author: Adrian Costeiu / cor